Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's In Season? Cherries

Cherry Season!


Well, it's cherry season! While I'm absolutely in love with the Rainier cherry - those unique little yellow and red orbs - I'm starting to have a new crush on the super-sweet Bing Cherries coming out of Washington. Of course, right now as I'm typing this to you and need to know the exact name of those Super-Sweets, I cannot recall it so...I'll get back to you on that one.


Five little cherries...



My favorite way to serve cherries is right out of a bowl. For meals I'll just stick a bowl on the table with a ramekin next to it for pits and stems and for the "littler" guys I always have "Charlie" handy.



Cherries Jubilee!!



If I was going to stray from the bowl of cherries and actually make something with them, the following recipes would serve as inspiration.
Chocolate Cherry Clafoutis
Cherry Jam
Grilled Peaches, Poached Cherries and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

And I can say that I have made Julia Child's Cherry Clafouti to rave reviews.


Happy Pitting!!


All original text and photographs copyright: Carrie Minns 2009-2011

5 comments:

alison said...

We are going cherry picking this weekend. My mind has been swirling with all the wonderful things to make. Like you, our favorite way to eat them is straight out of the bowl.

Carrie said...

How fun! You'll have to let me know if you discover a new way to eat them that goes beyond the bowl. :)

Sheila said...

Good Golly you are ahead of us with your fruit season. I just picked strawberries this week. Your pictures are as always gorgeous!

Rivki Locker said...

Sometimes the very most refreshing way to enjoy fruit is unadorned. Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.

Carrie said...

Sheila - Thanks darling! What are you doing with those strawberries of yours?

Rivki - Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails