Sunday, March 6, 2011

A "Chocolate Times 100" Cake and a Little Celebration



A "Chocolate Times 100" Cake
I found myself immediately transformed into a traffic cop as I held out both hands and practically threw myself into the "after-school pick-up" traffic to avoid having my 5-year-old hit by on-coming cars as he obliviously skipped across the street toward me. His eyes were shining. His "too-big" back-pack was jostling wildly up and down on his back. His smile...melt-your-heart big.


"Mom! Mom!" he cried out. "Guess what?"


"What, sweetie?" I said to him while wrapping my arm around his shoulders and pulling him over to the side with me.


"Best day ever!"


"Really? Why?"


"Today was the 100th day of school!"


He then launched into a dissertation on why that 100th day was "Best Day Ever." Top of the list was the half-eaten Fruit Loop necklace he wore around his neck. One hundred Fruit Loops, strung onto a piece of yarn and divided into groups of tens by squares of black paper.


"And, Mom, I finished my "neck-a-lace" first. Other people said they did but they didn't. Not really."


He continued to chatter as we drove home. Recounting the other 100th Day of School activities they had been doing in class. Collecting 100 things. Sorting 100 things. And then, counting out 100 cheerios, 100 raisins and 100 chocolate chips for the 100th day snack. The pinnacle of the 100th Day celebration.


A Ring of Chocolate Cake
And it made me think, 100 of anything, is quite substantial. Meaningful even. 100 days. 100 dollars. 100 yards. 100 years. 100 La Pomme de Portland posts.


And since this here post marks my 100th, I decided that it deserved its own little celebration. The kind of "Best Day Ever" celebration. It seems so long ago that I wrote that first one.


So, I baked a cake. A chocolate cake. From a box. With a few extras. Just because. And took pictures. Trust me it's delicious. The Rooster couldn't get over his good luck when he arrived home from work and found it sitting on the kitchen table.


And no it's not low-fat, calorie-free or rich with whole grains but sometimes we can't worry about that. Sometimes we simply need to enjoy what we're eating because it tastes delicious. And because we're celebrating. Or as those fancy French folks would say, "pour le plaisir." So go on. Go make it. Celebrate with me.


More chocolate...
And then as a little gift for you, I have created a list of inspiration (which ended up taking me a lot longer than I thought and hence the reason why this post did not go out last week at its regularly scheduled time.)


One hundred inspirational sites that I visit regularly. Sometimes for the recipes, sometimes for the beautiful photographs, other times for the bits of relevant information or simply because of the person behind the site.


This list is not exhaustive. There is so much talent out there on the web. It's impossible to capture it all in one list. But I hope my one hundred may inspire you and lead you on to find your one hundred.


You will always find my list at the top of my site under the tab "Inspiration" and I will rotate the sites on the list as time goes by and new bits of inspiration are discovered.


Would you like a piece?
And last, but certainly not least, I send out to each of you one hundred thank you's. Thank you for reading. For growing along with me from 30 friends, to one hundred, to one thousand, to two thousand and more every month. Really and truly. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart. You mean the world to me. I don't take for granted the precious time that you kindly spend here on La Pomme. Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.


xo
Carrie




A "Chocolate Times One Hundred" Cake
My dear, talented sister, Courtney Cook Hopp, passed this recipe on to me years ago. It's easy. It's a winner and it never fails to taste incredible. Perfect for celebrations. Plus, since I'm not much of a baker, as in "cake baking," this recipe takes away the angst of "Will the cake be moist?" It always is.
I was inspired to garnish the cake with bits of greenery from the woods after reading this fascinating article written by our local Oregonian FOODday staff writer, Leslie Cole. Of course, all I could find in my woods were soggy Nerf accessories and a broken badminton racket so I ended up using some French tarragon from my herb garden that is just starting to pop up for spring. Furthermore, if, after reading the above article, you find yourself completely enamored with the foraging concept, here's another good read. This article written by our own Kathleen Bauer of Good Stuff NW.


Ingredients
1 box Devil's food cake mix (fine with or without "pudding in the mix")
1 5.9 oz box instant chocolate pudding
1 1/4 c water
1/2 c oil
4 eggs
2 c chocolate chips, divided (semi-sweet or dark, your choice)
1/2 c whipping cream
Optional: powdered sugar


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan. Set aside.


Combine the first 5 ingredients (cake mix through eggs) and beat with a mixer for about 2 minutes on medium speed. With a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan.


Bake for about 55 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.


Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully turn cake out onto a metal rack to finish cooling.


Once cake has completely cooled, make your ganache. Put your remaining cup of chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, carefully bring your cream just to a boil. Slowly pour over your reserved chocolate chips. With a spatula, gently stir the chips and cream until they blend together. You can let it sit at room temperature for up to 10 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency. Then, spoon over your cooled cake.


As another option, you can pass on the ganache and simply sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar. I like to put my powdered sugar in a sieve and then gently press it through the sieve with the back of a spoon. This leaves a fine, even spread of the sugar on the cake.


PS: I like to pop my pieces of cake in the microwave for about 10 seconds. It softens up the chocolate chips and....yum.


...


In Case You're Trying to Stay Away from the Box....
Check out these lovely posts, featuring cakes made from scratch.


...


And Because I Have Spring Fever....
Yes, yes, I could go on and on bemoaning our gray, rainy, no-sun weather typical for this time of year but I won't. No. Instead I'll tell you that I have spring fever. I managed to get some sweet pea seeds in the ground by President's Day. Hoping to get some lettuce seeds in the ground as well and I absolutely swooned over this tea towel that Victoria featured over on her design site, SF Girl by Bay.




You can find this little goodie over at Terrain.


...


And yes, the Organization Project is back on....
I managed to pull out everything from the "under the stairs" closet. It is all boxed up, labeled and ready to donate. Of course, it is all sitting in my entryway at the moment. So, the goal for this week is to get it loaded into the car and taken to the appropriate donation site. Can't wait!


All original text and photographs copyright: Carrie Minns 2009-2011

15 comments:

Courtney Cook Hopp said...

Yum! What an inspiring list. I can't wait to peruse through them! Congratulations on 100 posts! Truly, a marvelous thing to celebrate!

Carrie said...

Thanks, sis!!

Maria said...

Your posts are always inspiring! Thank you! Congrats on 100!

Carrie said...

Thank you, Maria!

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the wonderful and inspiring list! I just love your blog! When you have a moment, you MUST take a look at http://bakedbree.com/. (Her blog is my other favorite, and I think you'll love it too.)

Anonymous said...

Carrie! Congrats on 100 posts, and I'm really digging your list of inspirations! What a fun gift for all of us readers. Thanks for putting so much thought into your blog. I absolutely love it - and I'm going to try Courtney's cake recipe for sure. xo! Leslie

Carrie said...

Oh, Kathryn, thank you for the wonderful tip. I checked out bakedbree.com and you're right. It's fabulous. Thank you for spreading the word and as always, thank you for reading La Pomme.

You are so welcome, Ms. Leslie. Hope you enjoy the sites. So much incredible talent out there. Thanks for stopping by here!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and Will! Isn't it amazing what Will has accomplished in 100 days of kindergarten? A kinder's learning is so tangible at this point. Isn't it amazing where 100 posts have taken you?
100 is not such a huge number, except when it is combined with as much enthusiasm as you and your kinder have put into your respective adventures. Then it becomes truly remarkable! - Christy

Carrie said...

Ahh, Christy, thank you, friend. And yes, sometimes one hundred doesn't seem like much but at the same time, it has a nice ring to it especially when combined with fruit loops and yarn.

Wenderly said...

WOW! 100 posts!! That's fantastic love! Congratulations! I am so thankful to have met you in *real life* at BHF and now get to enjoy you through your lovely blog!

And I thank you for including me in your 100 list! :) I'm touched! xo

Anonymous said...

Carrie, Congratulations on 100 posts. I always love reading your posts and your recipes.... It's like enjoying a good cup of coffee while listening to a friend tell a story. Best wishes for many many more to come! BTW, the cake looks delish and the perfect way to celebrate 100. I make a cake similar to this and your right, it ALWAYS comes out moist and perfect!

Carrie said...

Wendy, I am so thankful to have met you in "real life" as well. It makes your already lovely site, that much more wonderful.

Kim, Thank you so much, darlin'! I'm going to have to add your red velvet cupcakes to the list above. They sound divine!!

Pops said...

A little French Vanilla ice cream and "Perfection!"

Carrie said...

Pops, Of course....it wouldn't be the same without the ice cream. :)

Lisa said...

Congrats on your 100th post! This cake looks like one absolutely delicious way to celebrate. Chocolate is always the way to go. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails