Friday, November 19, 2010

Some Exciting News to Share.....


I am so excited to give you all a sneak preview of a project I've been working on with my über-talented graphic design sister. We have put together a 2011 La Pomme de Portland Calendar. Each month features one of my food photos, many of them highlighting what is in season for that time of year. In the back is a quick little cheat sheet outlining what actually is in season for the different times of the year which we thought would be helpful since I get asked about that fairly often.

Most importantly though, all of the proceeds made from the sale of this calendar will go to the Oregon Food Bank and the Northwest Sarcoma Foundation. We will have this calendar available for purchase right after the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope you'll keep this in mind as you're thinking of holiday gifts for family, friends, yourself, your boss, your co-workers, teachers, Christmas, Hanukkah.....








I also want to let you know how much I have appreciated all of the emails, the flickr, facebook and twitter messages, the phone calls and so on, with tips for roasting a turkey, whether to brine or not, and so on. I have to admit that the most intriguing method that was shared with me is to roast the turkey in a paper grocery sack. Very interesting....

However, I'm still undecided on what to do but I work best under pressure and it's not nearly close enough to Thanksgiving yet for me to kick it in to high gear. I still have at least 5-6 days.

Lately, I've been thinking, what if I get the turkey cut into pieces and cook it the same way I cook my Oregano Chicken? Seems like it would be nice and moist and flavorful. Wouldn't take as long to roast. You wouldn't have the same "Big Bird" presentation but we always carve ours up and stick it on a platter anyways.

A week from now, it will all be over, and I'll let you know how it went....following in my mother's and grandmother's shoes that is....with or without help from my sister, who, when I told her the other day that she had to help me with the turkey said, "Well, what do you want me to do? Hold your hand as you stick it in the oven?" Where is the respect for the eldest child?







If a video screen does not appear above this line, click here to be taken directly to the site.

Oh, and speaking of Oregano Chicken, should you like to see a live version of how to prepare that succulent dish, I whipped some up on AM Northwest Wednesday morning and above you'll find the video from my morning there.

Have a great weekend!!

Cheers,
Carrie




All original text and photographs copyright: Carrie Minns 2009-2010

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How did I get so lucky?

Ivy said...

Congrats on the AM Northwest appearance! You did great, it takes a strong will to do well on that show...and you nailed it@

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What an exciting project to raise funds for a good cause.

Courtney Cook Hopp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney Cook Hopp said...

You and me both, Dave, as I'm over here cracking up! I'm happy to hold your hand any day, sistah!
c.

SMITH BITES said...

Congrats on the calendar and I'm absolutely certain you'll be a hit this Thanksgiving. And yes, I've roasted a turkey in a grocery bag before as well as brined - both are good, brining is better. Cutting the turkey into pieces does cut down on the cooking time. Will be looking forward to a full report when said event is ovah!

Gina said...

Looking forward to that calendar! I'm hopeful you'll let us know when they're ready and how to get one.

Kirsten Crombie said...

Older siblings NEVER get respect. Trust me. :) Whatever you do with your turkey, my family would love to help out with the left-overs. Happy Thanksgiving!

Carrie said...

Thanks so much all of you....I'll be sure to let you all know how the turkey "show-down" goes and when the calendars are available to purchase!

Tricia said...

Can't wait for the calendars!

Congratulations on all your success!

Related Posts with Thumbnails