Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rainy Day Vegetable Soup

After years of cajoling, pleading, begging and badgering by my children...I finally planted the oft-promised vegetable garden. Of course, once the hoopla surrounding the choosing of the vegetables and the planting of the seeds was over, I was left alone to tend to my little plot. (Just as I'm sure would happen if I ever cave to the cries of, "When can we have a puppy?" Just me, the full grown dog, his hair and his, well, his "business" to pick up.) All that aside, I am thoroughly happy to tend to my garden. There is something quite gratifying about seeing those little green shoots poke their way up out of my plot's blank canvas. Even more satisfying is skipping back into the kitchen with a bowl full of my very own lettuce for that evening's salad. Lettuce I didn't have to pay for. Lettuce I didn't have to use the car to acquire. Lettuce that I know hasn't been sprayed with anything other than water. And, never mind about the little holes throughout the leaves, I'm happy to share my harvest with a few nighttime critters.

My little "potager" was ticking right along. The lettuce season was drawing to a close as the weather heated up. I was looking forward to my summer produce. Luscious tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and loads of zucchini I'd have to leave on doorsteps of neighbors in the middle of the night because I wouldn't know what to do with it all. And then, dear friend, as I'm sure you can sympathize...a water leak. One of those household maintenance projects that comes at you out of nowhere and scoots itself right to the top of the To Do list and strong arms everything else aside. There sat my precious garden. Right beneath the culprit of the leak...horrors! Over the course of the next few weeks, I watched as my tomato plants bravely stretched out their arms, baring their little yellow flowers and green globes. The zucchini put out its cheery orange blossoms and the cucumber plant decided to climb out and over the side. The beans bailed on the trellis and instead, scampered all over the ground. Meanwhile, a hailstorm of sawdust and debris tumbled down onto my little plants. Men on ladders were climbing up and over them. Mother Nature decided to heat up Portland to an unheard of 106 degrees. (Or 110, or 115 depending on whom you speak with and how much they like to embellish.) Their branches were broken. Their green leaves appeared to be covered with snow. And yet, even at the worst of it, when I could hardly bear to watch, I'd peak out from behind the curtain and somehow they were still there. Growing. Thriving.


I'm happy to report that I reaped my first harvest. Not much I'll admit but still...it's something. I popped the first 5 cherry tomatoes right into my mouth...well, after I gave them a good brushing off. Didn't share nary a one. I wasn't sure what to expect considering that their growing environment had been less than ideal. Ummmm. Sweet. Luscious. Juicy. And, the best part of homegrown tomatoes right off the vine...they were still warm from the sun.
As often happens here in Portland, even in the summer, our warm, morning sun was quickly blotted out by rain clouds, the temperature dropped and what should have been a day full of sprinklers and peals of laughter, became a day that sent everyone indoors, putting on jammies, wool socks and pining away for a nice, fall soup. Usually, I don't make this soup until autumn when the kids are back in school and apples are in season but considering that I had fresh, green beans at my beckon call and the weather had taken a turn...I went ahead. Plus, being a prolific soup maker, I had finally used the gift card my parents had bestowed upon me two years ago for Christmas to buy a brand new soup pot and I was dying to give it a whirl. So, there I stood, happy as a clam, cutting up my onions, green beans, zucchini and carrots while I sipped on a glass of scott paul pinot noir, cuvée Martha Pirrie, in honor of my dear father-in-law (or as the French say and I much prefer, my “beau-pére”) who passed away a year ago this day. I had his favorite Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass song, A Taste of Honey, playing in the background and I contentedly found myself lost in my remembrances of him and surrounded by the warm, swirling smells of sautéed onions.


I set down steaming bowls of my vegetable soup, a plate of Ayers Creek Farm blackberries and yellow peaches, sliced ciabatta bread and remnants of cheese pieces I found in the fridge - goat, brie, a hunk of cheddar - on the worn kitchen table. Within minutes, my children had licked their platters clean and we were nourished and fulfilled by our humble meal. We talked about Grandad. His smile. His quiet laugh. His humming. His love for his grandkids. And, as my sweetie put it, his gratitude for seemingly small things. So, please, if you will, dear friend, raise a glass for Grandad, his genuine gratitude and the pleasure of the harvest no matter how small. No matter how dusty.


Rainy Day Vegetable Soup - Summer Version

Ingredients:
1 tbls olive oil or a couple laps around the pot with the olive oil jug
2 med yellow onions
2 garlic cloves
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup green beans, chopped into 1" pieces
2 medium zucchini, diced
2 tsp Herbes de Provence OR 6 sprigs fresh thyme & 2 bay leaves
2 qts chicken broth OR 2 qts vegetable broth for a vegetarian version
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz can cannellini beans OR any other any other can of white beans you have lying around
2 medium, red- or white-skinned potatoes, cubed
A handful of small pasta - alphabet, orzo, broken spaghetti pieces, etc.
1 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
Piece of parmesan cheese rind, optional

Pistou, optional:
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup grated, parmesan cheese
1/8 to 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup tomato paste, optional

Directions:
Before you begin, dear friend, please gather up for yourself a glass of your favorite sipping beverage, whether it be the aforementioned pinot noir or a simple cup of mint tea. (Sometimes my choice is tied directly to the noise level in our home.) Put on your favorite, calming, mood music and then, find yourself lost in the repetitive motion of your VERY SHARP knife slicing through the bounty.

Put your pot over low to medium heat to warm-up. Prep your onions to be diced. Swirl the olive oil in your pot and then, dice your onions. I find that doing these tasks in this order results in the perfect timing for heating and dicing. Now, if the thought of dicing an onion makes you literally flee the kitchen, please treat yourself to this 1 minute video How to Chop an Onion or most likely, any other you find on youtube of the same subject. I learned this technique years ago and it has made all the difference. You can apply the same principles to your other dicing needs as well.

Put your diced onion into your pot over medium-low heat. You want your onion to soften and become translucent with just a hint of caramel color but you don't want it to brown or burn. I find that this step, done correctly, is the secret to all delicious soups calling for onion. Stir occasionally. Check your heat to make sure your onions are not browning too quickly.

While your onion is sautéing, dice up your garlic, carrots and celery. Once they are prepped, pour them all into the pot, give them a stir and continue chopping your zucchini and green beans. Put them into the pot. Add the spices or fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Stir. Chop up your potato. At this point, your onions, celery and carrots should be softened and your green beans and zucchini, warmed. Pour your chicken stock and tomatoes into the pot, drop in the optional piece of parmesan cheese rind and bring it all to a boil. Once boiling, add your potatoes, bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer 20-25 minutes.

While your soup is simmering, you can decide to make the pistou or skip it. I always base my decision on how much time I have, how much energy I have remaining from my daily allotment and whether or not I have any fresh basil laying around. A nice grating of parmesan cheese over this soup does just as nicely as the pistou.

On this day, I decided to make the pistou which is just a fancy way of saying I made a type of paste that you dollop on top of your finished vegetable soup for added flavor dimension. Not having a mortal and pestle, I chopped up the basil and garlic. Then, I took the backside of a serving spoon and mashed up the two ingredients on my cutting board. I added the grated cheese to the pile and continued mashing. Then I just drizzled the olive oil on top. Stirred it all together until it was pasty and had everyone serve themselves the pistou straight from the cutting board. Why dirty another dish?

By this time, the "stomach-growling inducing" aroma filled the kitchen. I washed my blackberries. Sliced my peaches. Pulled some cheese out of the fridge to warm-up to room temperature. My buzzer went off. I added the cannellini beans and the handful of pasta and set the timer for another 10 minutes. By the time my buzzer went off again, I had laid out the bread, cheese, fruit and finagled one of the children innocently passing by the kitchen to pour a round of water for everyone. Before you knew it, we were sitting down to our meal and toasting Grandad.

Now, as with all things worth waiting for - wine, women, types of cheese, soups - this soup is delicious the first day but even better the next day and the next. As the soup ages, flavors co-mingle to give it a certain depth and complexity it lacks when it's so young. So, enjoy it for dinner tonight but appreciate the soup's deeper flavors the following days.

PS: Fish out that cheese rind after the initial cooking. I find that when left in the soup for subsequent days, the cheese flavor over-powers all of the other ingredients and therefore, tuns vegetable soup into a rather disturbing-looking cheese soup. And while you're fishing, you may want to grab the bay leaves and thyme stems. You wouldn't want to accidentally choke those down.

Yield: Enough for a family of 5, plus leftovers for lunch the next day.

Originally written: August 12, 2009
All original text and photographs copyright: Carrie Minns 2009

9 comments:

Pops said...

Ahhhhhh, your culinary delicious words leave my stomach growling and my tastebuds staving for you wonderful soup.

As for the garden; a gift from heaven, a harvest from the heart, and weeds - well from somewhere warmer than your hot Portland.

Luv ya,

Ellery Cogswell said...

Mmmmm. I think it's going to rain this week. Must have soup!

Angie Muresan said...

My garden's given me a bounty of tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and eggplants. It's been a good harvest and I've spent the last several days canning and pickling. That soup sounds delicious, I might just make it for dinner tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. He sounds like he was a wonderful man. And how great that his memory lives on.

Melissa said...

Ahh Carrie, you are LIVING life!

Team DesCamp said...

Yo, girl. Meg here. I made the soup (with many interruptions, including a hike in the rain with Large Dog and a trip to the orthodontist) using a veggie base so that VeggieTeenGirl can indulge. I usually hate veggie soup made without chicken stock, but Carrie! This soup is terrific! And it will be even better tonight. I plan to serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches & fresh sliced tomatoes on the side. I have a few on-the-vine tomatoes that the stinkin' deer missed, and they are perfectly ripe. I can hardly wait for dinner!

Joseph Michael said...

Erin and I make a soup a coupla times a month. We'll try this... You are an excellent writer.

Team DesCamp said...

Hey. Two days after I made this soup (with the veggie base), I plonked most of the leftovers in the blender and then simmered it down a bit. Pasta sauce! Added some sweet Italian sausage for the meat eaters. And the night after that, I added shredded chicken to the final bit of leftovers and had chicken-vegetable soup. Thanks, Carrie. What a great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! I am always looking for hearty vegetarian, or mostly vegetarian meals to make for Ed. This one was excellent! I can't tell you how much the "timing" instructions help me out. I used half chicken broth and Chardonnay and half vegetable broth so both he and I are happy. It turned out faboulous and even better for lunch the next day. Thanks for the recipe! Cheers,

Jackie

Carrie said...

Jackie - So glad you enjoyed the soup. I like the idea of the Chardonnay in there. I'll have to try that next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails